Italy: wine, antipasto, gelato, olives, lemons, and coffee. That’s what I think of when I reminisce of boot-shaped heaven. I spent lots of time traveling throughout Italy, and on one of my lovely trips I rented a little stone cottage just a short train ride from Cinque Terre. This off-the-beaten-path agritourismo was perfect. It had an infinity pool overlooking the gulf, olive trees, and honeybees. They made olive oil, wine, and honey on site. Best of all, they delivered breakfast each morning, which consisted of fresh fruit, pastries, and a little Moka pot with Illy coffee. Those morning were sweet and savory, and now each morning when I fill my Moka I think about those glorious, warm mornings. Just the wandering thought makes me smile!
Best Coffee Recipe:
Fill Moka with choice coffee (I love Bustelo!)
Add a pinch of cinnamon and a pod of cardamom
Brew and enjoy black, sweet and/or cloudy!
A few months ago, I found an amazing recipe for breakfast bars by Olena on Ifoodreal. Since the discovery, I’ve made them several times, but due to our dietary restrictions I adapted the recipe to fit our needs as follows:
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup uncooked steel cut oats (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 cup berries (or fruit of choice)
- 2 cups milk (cow, coconut, almond, or soy)
- 3 large eggs (can sub whites or flax, if preferred)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 crushed cardamom pods
- Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray 8×8 baking dish (I also used foil muffin tins before, just be certain to spray liners slightly to avoid sticking.)
- Mix and rinse quinoa and oats with cold running water. Drain well and set aside. Rinse fruits and set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, and spices. Set aside.
- Spread the fruit in an even layer on a bottom.
- Sprinkle quinoa and steel cut oats on top
- Slowly pour liquid mixture into baking dish
- Bake for 60 minutes uncovered
- Remove from oven and let cool. If using an 8×8 pan, cut into 9 slices and serve hot, warm or cool.
For an extra treat add a dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt or drizzle with honey or agave syrup.
These can be also be frozen. Just remove an hour before desired enjoyment, heat (if you prefer) and serve!