A few months ago, I found an amazing recipe for breakfast bars by Olena on Ifoodreal. Since the discovery, I’ve made them several times, but due to our dietary restrictions I adapted the recipe to fit our needs as follows:
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup uncooked steel cut oats (Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 1/2 cup berries (or fruit of choice)
- 2 cups milk (cow, coconut, almond, or soy)
- 3 large eggs (can sub whites or flax, if preferred)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 crushed cardamom pods
- Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray 8×8 baking dish (I also used foil muffin tins before, just be certain to spray liners slightly to avoid sticking.)
- Mix and rinse quinoa and oats with cold running water. Drain well and set aside. Rinse fruits and set aside
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, and spices. Set aside.
- Spread the fruit in an even layer on a bottom.
- Sprinkle quinoa and steel cut oats on top
- Slowly pour liquid mixture into baking dish
- Bake for 60 minutes uncovered
- Remove from oven and let cool. If using an 8×8 pan, cut into 9 slices and serve hot, warm or cool.
For an extra treat add a dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt or drizzle with honey or agave syrup.
These can be also be frozen. Just remove an hour before desired enjoyment, heat (if you prefer) and serve!